Celebrating CNY: Chaos, Culture & Cat Hair

๐ŸŽ‰ Celebrating CNY: Chaos, Culture & Cat Hair

Chinese New Year in a multicultural neighbourhood is a genuinely wonderful kind of chaos — visits back to back, food appearing faster than it can be eaten, and this year, my cat deciding the reunion dinner table was prime real estate for a nap, right in the middle of the mandarin oranges.

๐Ÿงง The Visiting Marathon

Growing up in Malaysia means CNY isn't just for one household — it's an open-door season. Neighbours visit neighbours, regardless of background, and everyone ends up with more cookies, more oranges, and more red packets (or giving out more, depending which side of adulthood you've landed on) than they know what to do with.

๐Ÿฑ Enter: The Cat

My cat has exactly one opinion about CNY, and it's that the shiny red decorations are clearly toys, the gift-wrapped mandarin oranges are clearly also toys, and the brand new tablecloth is clearly the best napping surface in the house. I spent more time this year chasing a mandarin orange across the living room floor than I did actually eating one.

๐ŸŠ What Actually Mattered

Underneath the chaos, there's something I genuinely look forward to every year — the reunion dinner. Not because of any one dish in particular, but because it's one of the rare times everyone's actually in the same room, phones mostly down, just eating and talking. The cat hair in the curry is a small price to pay.

๐Ÿงจ One Tradition, Many Neighbours

What I love about celebrating this in Malaysia specifically is how shared it feels — friends who don't celebrate CNY themselves still show up, still get handed oranges, still get roped into "gong xi gong xi" even if they're not entirely sure of the words. That overlap of cultures living genuinely side by side is something I don't think I'd appreciate as much if I'd grown up somewhere more homogenous.

๐Ÿ”— Related Posts

  • Lion Dance in My Neighbourhood: How Tradition Lives On
  • 5 Times My Cat Had a Better Weekend Than Me

Comments

Popular Posts

BigQuery MERGE Statement – Explained

Spicy Prawn Masala | Prawn Masala Curry Recipe | Shrimp Masala

PostgreSQL ON CONFLICT Statement