Prawn Masala & Memory Bites – Cooking from the Heart

๐Ÿค Prawn Masala & Memory Bites – Cooking from the Heart

There are recipes you cook because they're quick, and there are recipes you cook because they bring someone back into the room with you, even if just for the time it takes the onions to soften. Prawn Masala is the second kind for me.

๐Ÿงก Where This Recipe Actually Comes From

This wasn't a dish I learned from a cookbook or a video — it came from standing next to my mother in a small kitchen, being handed tasks too simple to mess up (peel this, stir that) while she did the parts that actually required judgment: how much chilli is "enough," when the masala has cooked down just right, when to add the prawns so they don't turn rubbery.

Some of that judgment, I still haven't fully learned. I've made this dish dozens of times and I still find myself second-guessing the chilli amount every single time — which, if I'm honest, might be exactly the point. Some things in cooking (and maybe in general) aren't meant to be nailed down into an exact number.

๐ŸŒถ️ The Smell That Does It

If you've grown up around South Indian cooking, you know the exact moment I mean — when the ginger-garlic paste hits hot oil and the whole house suddenly smells like someone's home, regardless of whether anyone's actually cooked anything yet. That smell alone does more to transport me back than almost anything else.

๐Ÿฝ️ The Full Recipe

I've actually written up the full step-by-step version of this dish with exact measurements, for anyone who wants to try making it themselves rather than winging the chilli like I still do:

๐Ÿ‘‰ Spicy Prawn Masala – Full Recipe

๐Ÿง  Why I'm Writing About This Here

This blog's tagline is "Scripts & Serendipity" for a reason — most days it's SQL and BigQuery, but every so often it's a bowl of sambal or a dish that means more than its ingredient list. This is one of those posts.

๐Ÿ”— Related Posts

  • Spicy Prawn Masala – Full Recipe
  • Lion Dance in My Neighbourhood: How Tradition Lives On

Comments

Popular Posts

BigQuery MERGE Statement – Explained

Spicy Prawn Masala | Prawn Masala Curry Recipe | Shrimp Masala

PostgreSQL ON CONFLICT Statement